Occupy Wall Street Animal Issues seeks to create a society that rejects speciesism & respects all sentient beings’ autonomy & freedom. We provide services & advocate for animals at Occupy Wall Street. We challenge industries that exploit, destroy & displace animals and expose how they endanger our health, waste resources, damage the environment & undermine democracy for the profit & benefit of Wall Street and the 1%.
OWS Animal Issues is committed to:
- a horizontal, consensus based process.
- maintaining transparency and openness wherever possible.
- maintaining our meetings, events, and email lists / web fora as safer spaces as defined by the Coalition for Safer Spaces (http://saferspacesnyc.wordpress.com/)
- opposing all forms of oppression. While our working group focuses on challenging speciesism, we are in solidarity with struggles against other forms of oppression, avoid reinforcing other forms of oppression through our work, seek to recognize the intersections of speciesism and other forms of oppression, and seek to build alliances and offer solidarity to people fighting racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, heterosexism, and other forms of oppression.
- recognizing unearned privilege and unbalanced power and working to ensure that traditionally marginalized voices are included and empowered within our organizing.